Located just west of Miami and east of Naples is the beautiful Everglades.
Here are 20 Facts About Florida’s Everglades:
- The Everglades is more than 1,508,538 acres in size!
- 36 threatened or endangered species call the Everglades home. Including the Florida Panther and the American Crocodile.
- The Everglades features over 350 species of birds, 300 species of fish and saltwater fish!
- Most people don’t like mosquitoes, however, they play a vital role in the Everglades food chain as their larva provides food for a variety of fish that have a critical diet.
- Sawgrass plants are known for their razor sharp blades of grass that are known to cut through clothing! These plants can grow up to 6 feet tall!
- The only place in the world where alligators and crocodiles coexist!
- The Everglades National Park protects the southern 20 percent of the original Everglades.
- One out of every three Floridians (21 million people) relies on the Everglades for their water supply!
- The Everglades is the largest wilderness of any kind east of the Mississippi River.
- Often described as a wetland or swamp, the Everglades is really a very slow moving river.
- It’s North America’s largest subtropical wetland ecosystems.
- The Everglades only has two seasons per year… Dry season (Winter) and wet season (summer).
- In 1845, when Florida first became a state, the legislature took the first steps to drain the Everglades.
- The average depth is only 4-5 feet deep. The deepest point is only 9 feet.
- Often called the “River of Grass.”
- The Everglades National Park is the third largest National Park in the lower 48 states after Yellowstone and Death Valley.
- Native Americans living around the Everglades called it Pahayokee (pah=High-oh-geh), which means “grassy waters.”
- The Everglades National Park features hiking trails, camping, and other fun activities.
- The water in the Everglades is primarily fresh-water.
- The Everglades receives an average of 75 inches a rain per year!
Click Here To Find Florida’s best places to Eat, Stay, Shop & Play!